21 April 2005

You gotta stand for something or you'll fall for everything

You gotta stand for something or you'll fall for everything.
Last night I attended a training meeting with our national sales director. Jerry shared a few things I expected, a lot that made sense, and a few things that surprised and impressed me. Quite a bit was therapeutic, wisdom that rang true for me because I have been learning it in group and at home for three years now. Yet with all my "expeience" I still forget it applies in all areas of my life!
Decisions we make determine the direction we take. The direction we take determines our destiny.
Like... Decisions come from the way we think. Wrong thinking [recordings] doesn't serve us. There is a constant conversation going on inside each of us; we talk ourselves into things, good and bad, all the time. All or nothing thinking. [Paying attention to what's missing vs. what's here.]
If the eyes are the pathway to the soul, then lanuguage is the pathway to how people think. You can know where people stand by the language they use.
How long since I caught myself using an absolute?

Learn to ask questions, have a genuine interest in others. Isn't that being present and getting really curious? I've considered this before: attend my shows in containment (setting aside my fear and what's going on for me), be present with the people who are there, connect. I thought: this is healing... I can offer a little healing attention to each person, no matter how brief. Jerry says direct sales is a "heart" business (vs. sales, which is head games); the only way to get what you want is to serve others in relationship.

Two things helped me the most:

(1) Although he challenged us to do what's right instead of doing it our own way ("put your ego in your back pocket and sit on it"), he kept emphasizing that we need to do it the way that works for us. Define my own success; don't let other people fill my cup with their dreams; use words that work for me; place elements of the presentation in places that work for me; read or listen to the people who speak to me. Only I am uniquely me, and I'm at my best when I'm being myself.

And the corollary:

(2) Decide whether my business is a "big rock", a priority. If it is, look at what's getting in my way of treating it like one. If it's not, either quit or intentionally reduce my activity so I can attend to my happiness instead of my guilt!

No comments: