26 August 2006

Back to the Truth

This morning in one of the little devotionals inside my bible I read this:

Our feelings can change from day to day, and even from hour to hour. As a result, there are times when we must WILL to affirm and express our love to our mate.

Bother. This is another one of those times when everything I encounter points to the one place I need to grow, isn't it? And I should happen to read this the morning after a not-so-loving incident with Scott; our new "core scene", if you will. It's so hard to embrace opportunities to grow, especially because they usually don't feel very good!

It points back to Truth. As I'm sure I've written before, I have to act in Truth, with faith in Scott, not in the behavior-of-the-moment (his or mine). This morning as he kissed me good-bye, I smiled and said a quick prayer over him (which I have taken to doing in the last few weeks), even though I wasn't feeling very charitable. His response was so positive and completely loving as he blessed me in return. I was instantly chagrined that I had almost skipped this little ritual between us; the only person I would have been hurting was ME.

Let us not love with words or tongue but with actions and in truth. This then is how we know that we belong to the truth, and how we set our hearts at rest in his presence whenever our hearts condemn us. For God is greater than our hearts, and he knows everything. 1 John 3:18-20

It's been so long since I've written in this blog (so much has happened!), that I went back and read my last entry. In it were examples of Scott's love and growth that I had "recorded for [God's] glory and [my] encouragement". Marcie's right; there really is some chemical change in the brain when you read this stuff, because I feel better (ironically amused with myself) already! And God knows this (after all, he designed us), which is why we are instructed to remember.

This reminds me of another post in the same vein, which I wrote on a group forum where I am a member. I'll repost it as my next entry.

No comments: