22 November 2005

Oxygen

I can breathe! Those of you who've known me at least the last couple of years will understand that this is a fact of miraculous proportions. All evening I've been feeling strangely, uneasy even; and a few moments ago while energetically making up the bed around Scott it suddenly hit me: I have energy! Today was my first really good day in ages. I woke up, was alert all day, able to focus on tasks, and most noticeably did NOT experience my usual afternoon lethargic slump, the one where I just want to give up and pass out. It's the "excess" energy that's had me feeling almost restless all day--I had a lot more active hours than I was used to and didn't know what to do with them.

All week I've been waking up in the morning, asking God to help me breathe, and breathing as deeply as I can while I do. I had stopped asking for physical healing a long time ago, rationalizing that if God deemed it in my best interests, he would cure me, and knowing that in any case, I am constantly being healed ("curing" and "healing" not being the same thing). But a few weeks ago I realized this kind of prayer wasn't communicating my truth in any kind of vulnerable way. I was protecting myself from possible disappointment. So I got really vulnerable, and since then I've been training myself to keep asking, vs. giving up (which we learn to do at such an early age)... and pushing against my pattern of "rationing" my requests lest I ask for too much.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

How lovely...I'm so glad you finally got to breathe. I find it hard to keep the air flowing too when I get nervous or afraid of anxious, and suddenly having that freedom is amazing. And good for you for asking for as much of and exactly what you need!

highpowermom said...

Thank you, Shaina! I'm always surprised when I can take a deep breath. And too funny that asking for what I need came up today!

Jessie said...

I wish I knew you were feeling like this then. I'm there for you girl whenever you need a friend :) I've had times that I felt like that. But like they say in Galaxy Quest, "Never give up, never surrender!" God's always going to be there for you no matter what. He loves you too much to let you go. Love ya!